Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Road Trip reflections 08

So this past long weekend, I took what now looks like it will be an annual event - a road trip to New York. I have to say, locked on a bus with 51 people, some of whom I know, some I did not - makes for an interesting ride and handfull of stories that will keep me laughing well into my 90's.

I did this road trip last year and if I can find my old blog about it I will repost it sometime, but last year I found the soundtrack of the journey to be pretty much exclusively The Band.

This year, after making what turned out to be the hardest bet I have ever won in my life NOT TO LISTEN TO ANY ARTS AND CRAFTS ARTISTS ALL WEEKEND (painful), the soundtrack of my trip was Classic Grunge. Mind you - I did win, because, well, I am in fact more stubborn than death - quite literally.

At the time of it's original appearance on the scene (early-mid 90's), the mystique and significance of Grunge escaped me. At that point, I was pretty much only listening to Queen and could not be convinced there was anything else worthy of my time. It has only been over the last few years that I have really come to understand the whole movement and get it's social significance as well as truly appreciate how awesome some of the music was/is. Here is MY definitive Grunge playlist:
Evenflow
Everlong
Testify
Heart Shaped Box
Glycerine
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Plush
In September
Lithium
Bulls on Parade
Tonight Tonight
Crazy Mary
I Alone
Today
Better Man
Come As You Are
Bad as They Seem
Guerilla Radio
Comedown
All Over You
Ava Adore
Creep
Alive
The Man Who Sold the World
1979
In Bloom
Machinehead
Black Hole Sun
Jeremy
Zero
All Apologies
No Rain

A few musings resulting from looping said list:
1. Eddie Vedder is a genius. Pearl Jam in general are a unique and fantastic example of what a gift music truly is.
2. Billy Corgan WAS a genius (let's face it people - comparitively, Zeitgeist sucks ass).
3. Everyone should drive into New York City to the sound of Testify at sunrise - perfection.
4. I have another reason to hate Gwen Stefani (didn't need another one what with her shitty music and all, but I got one anyway) - what the fuck did she do to Gavin Rossdale? He was wicked.
5. I like Nirvana, I LOVE Dave Grohl.
6. I am burning everyone I know a copy of Mental Jewelry tonight.
7. Desser needs to tune back down. That shit was hot.

So there you go. Lock me on a bus for around 25 hours over 3 days and this is what you get.


0 comments: