Wednesday, June 25, 2008

High School Confidential


So I felt the need to share some love for my high school today. I was having a conversation with an acquaintance about choosing a high school for her daughter and how it was such an important decision that will play a huge role in who she inevitably becomes in her later life.

On to the love . . . to everyone (staff and students - in particular to those who like me, lived in the music hall) at Etobicoke School of the Arts who taught me, helped me, listened to me, encouraged me, supported me, challenged me, and most of all - let me be myself, I am humbly indebted to you all for life.

There have been very few places in my life that I felt at home and like the people around me truly "got" me and ESA is definitely the winner for making me feel the most comfortable in my own skin. I acknowledge that I am indeed a freak, however, never before or since have I felt so 'normal' in my abnormality - my undying gratitude and love to everyone who had a part in that. You all resuscitated my soul.

On a related note, to North Toronto Collegiate Institute, a big huge fuck you for doing exactly the opposite and killing my spirit in the first place.

So to all those making such daunting choices for themselves or their children - I urge you to think carefully - because being OK with who you are is a powerful feeling not to be underestimated. Do your research, it's time well spent.

And finally, the thing I must thank ESA for the most is introducing me to the person who truly has been and will be my best friend for life. I could not get through a single day without her - and I thank ESA for every day that I will never have to try.

1 comments:

matt said...

hi sarah. wow so you went to the same school as amy/emily. i really appreciated what you said about the importance of finding the right school. we are so lucky where our son (yay for d) is at what we call primary school here (ages 5 thru 11). it's just so important to get the basics right.

btw he likes bss....well maybe he's just saying it to keep me sweet.