Today has very quickly become the most expensive day of my life thus far (if you don't count the day I bought my house).
The second that I heard that Stars were opening for Coldplay I began calculating in my head logistically how I could swing going. The show is in Ottawa (a 5 hr drive from Toronto) and on a Monday night, I do not have the option of taking tomorrow off of work even if I was so inclined (which I am not). So here is the ridiculousness that we have come up with. We are flying to Ottawa at 5:30 pm this afternoon, where we will then cab it the 1/2 hr to the actual stadium and see Stars open for Coldplay from what are the best seats I have ever had for a concert. In lamenting over the skyrocketing price for the evening, I have come to the conclusion that sometimes we all have to indulge ourselves and that this is a once in a lifetime experience that I cannot afford to miss. It does seem somewhat indulgent and absolutely crazy that I am going to get on a plane to go somewhere for what will amount to a total of about 5 hrs. What some have pointed out makes the whole event even more ridiculous is that I am not spending all of this money and doing the crazy turnaround flight for Coldplay - I am going to see Stars open for Coldplay - there is a difference. I will probably be the only one who is more interested in the opening act. I am unsure how I feel about Stars at an arena though - I would love them anywhere, but I fear that this show may fall into the weird category that seeing Feist at a large venue did - inorganic and unnatural. I am used to seeing Stars at venues that have max capacities of 300 or 500, not an arena that houses 20,000 for hockey games.
Anyway, if you have not had the chance to see Stars live - at a small venue or an arena, you should definitely do so - they are an excellent example of how Canadians have saved music for us all. It's like the whole world stops when Amy and Torque sing, magical.
Monday, October 20, 2008
You only live once
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment